Sunday, May 6, 2012

Like A Boss

Bernina 1300DC
So I'm on a mailing list that tells me all the different estate sales and auctions going on in the Metro Atlanta area.  Lately I've been ignoring them, but for whatever reason I opened this one up and decided to poke around.  Low and behold one of them said "lots of sewing stuff" including a "really nice sewing machine".  So I looked through the photos and for the life of me didn't see a sewing machine. But they did have this serger.  Then it dawned on me that whomever was running the estate sale had absolutely no idea what they were selling.  So I spied the model number from the photo, did some research, and discovered its a really nice serger that retails at $1400-$1700 AND HAS A COVERSTITCH!!

Oh hell yeah.  Now, we're cash poor cause we just paid bills but I had a bit of 'mad money' left in my personal savings.  I decided to check it out since it was super close to me, too.  I don't know what I was expecting them to have it priced at, but when I saw they had it for $99 that baby was out the door with me in a heartbeat. That's less than half what I was willing to pay for it.  Now, it has some parts missing, like the blade cover and the standard serger foot, but those are only going to cost me another $50 or so.  And I did try to get the cover stitch to work and was having a great deal of difficulty.  I figure if i need service and the parts I'm STILL coming out more than a thousand dollars ahead! HELL YEAH!  Eat my deal finding dust, suckas!



Still, this thing is going to take some learnin'. Its a  bloody complicated machine, yo.

4 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOO I HATE YOU!!!!! you are gonna love that thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hatin'! I'm more than happy to share the mojo.

      Delete
  2. HOLY CRAP! That is an awesome steal, even with the less than perfect condition. Here's hoping you can get it up and running and usable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the biggest problem is user error. So, missing parts and service + some hands on lessons at the local shop should fix it. I hope. :)

      Delete