Thursday, November 8, 2012

DIY Fabric Labels

There are quite a few DIY how-to's around the internet on fabric labels. Most of them involve printers. And if you are like me, trying to get any sort of unconventional printing done (whether is fabric or wax paper) on your printer makes you want to go all Office Space on the bitch.

So, enter my other hobby, scrapbooking (really, paper crafting and art journals, and some actual photos). I don't have much in the way of photos because I think this one photo is fairly self explanatory  I will, however, give you a supply list.


Supplies:

1) Satin Ribbon - about 1.5 inches (38mm) wide. You probably have something like this in your stash.

2) Hero Arts "Sew Artsy" stamps  Its possibly these may be sold in a craft store near you. I got mine at Archiver's.

3) Stamp Mounts.  There are several different varieties out there, I have clear acrylic blocks. Michael's and JoAnn's sells several options as well.

4) Ink. My recommendation is Versafine Onyx Black.(not pictured) I tested it and it is color fast. Yes, its expensive, but if you make sure to close it when done and then store it upside down (this makes the ink stay on top where it does the most good) it should last you a year or more. I've had mine for two, but I don't use is a lot.

5) Fine tip permanent marker.

So, stamp along a length of ribbon, make sure to give yourself room for sewing it on after you cut them out. TADA! Clothing labels. However, if you really want to sink some money into it, I found this Etsy shop will do 300 personalized embroidered ones for about $70. They are in China and it looks like it takes 6-8 weeks, but so far the best deal I've found. I might try them when I get my year end bonus. If so, I'll give a full report on what its like to work with them.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! I agree, I don't want to try to print with my printer on something that is not 8 x 11 and on paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh! Something to spend money on- yay! I think this is a great idea- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about using my Silhouette to cut out labels. I've spied around the 'net where you can cut out fabric with it for applique, but I haven't tried it yet. It would follow that if you can cut fabric shapes, you can cut labels. I need a new thick media mat - guess I'd better get one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever! I have often thought I'd love to have labels in my me-mades, just for fun. So getting in on this...

    ReplyDelete