Saturday, December 8, 2012

Two Renfrews and a Clover



I see this and think "I'm wearing low-tech TV snow". You know what I"m talking about? Comes with awful noise.


Well, goodness. Its been like,  a million years since I took honest to goodness photos of myself. To be perfectly  honest, one of the reasons I haven't wanted to do so is because I've gained back all the weight I lost prior to Mom's death. (Which is why I look like I'm hiding in this photo, kinda.)   I eat poorly when I'm depressed.  Add to that the two major falls this year and I haven't been moving much either. Then it just becomes a negative feedback loop.  My husband pointed out that I have been using the upper body strengthening machines at work, which has added bulk in my shoulders and arms, which I honestly don't need. What I need is actual  _weight_ loss.  And not because I'm having an OH GOD I'M FAT moment. Well, most of the time. I do have a melt down about once a month at the same time all I want is chocolate and red meat.  You could say its cyclical. But that's besides the point. The point is I need the weight off because it is a great strain off my lower back and hence lessens my constant pain. So, I'm starting with baby steps. Walking. I shall walk every day, even if only for 15 minutes and start planning my meals. That's all I did to get the first 15 pounds off because my metabolism is fairly robust.

But for now, I'll just own where I am. My husband and several other friends assure me my appeal has not dwindled, so we'll go with that. I'm happy, and loved, and I make my own damn clothes so there's no need for me to feel bad. Now, on to the rest of the pictures!


If you are thinking to yourself "Wow, that doesn't look anything like a pair of Clovers" then you are right. This was my 1 hour maxi skirt I made on a whim.  I wanted something that wasn't yoga pants to lounge around in and it turns out I get a lot of "hey, nice skirt" compliments.  Which is weird cause its literally a tube with one seam up the back and elastic.  Its a really nice rayon knit so I didn't even have to put a seam at the bottom. BONUS.   As it turns out, my sparkly black sweater knit Renfrew is the perfect companion and its also my go-to Sunday work outfit because its perfect for sitting in a chair for 12 hours and knowing no management is going to be there.




Back view. La de da, kinda boring. I will note that I did do an FBA on this a la Vicki Makes.


Dramatic LadyKatza is Dramatic
Bonus dramatic pose.

Next Up!

This is me loitering on my own porch. I'm such a rebel.

Here I am completely breaking the rules and wearing horizontal stripes. Whatever. I love this sweater to death so I'll wear them if I damn well please! This sweater knit is a rayon/lurex blend.   The Clovers are made from a  Windsor cotton/lycra stretch cord in olive green.  This is actually my third pair, and I'm still not completely happy with the fit, but they are better than the first one, for sure.  I got ride of the crotch sag, though you can't see it here.


bootylicious and jiggling

What I STILL don't like is this bagginess that happens under the posterior region. I did, however, finally figure out what was causing that. I shall be removing length between the crotch and the knee and giving myself about a 1/3 of an inch more room for the calf width. That should give me the perfect straight leg cigarette pant look I've been wanting. I haven't done any pockets yet, I'm going to add some patch pockets on the back when I make the next pair from a denim.

So, that's it for now!  I do have a quick tutorial on an easy way to transfer an FBA from v-neck to cowl-neck Renfrew. Its pretty straight forward but thought it might help everyone. That's it for today. Cheers!

12 comments:

  1. Bravo for the two Renfrews and Clover (that nearly sounds like a song title or a band name)! I think the stripes look quite smashing on you. And I love how you styled it w/ the Clovers and the shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also, I did have a song in mind when I wrote that title.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfmNxKLDG4

      Delete
  2. You've sewn a lot! I especially like the sparkly renfrew, it's funny how comfortable clothes can look so smashing. The clover looks nice too, and very soft. Your haircolour is great, it makes your eyes pop. Please don't be too hard on yourself, life is hard enough as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! To be fair, most of this was done over a few months I just haven't taken photos of what I've been sewing ON me. :)

      Delete
  3. Fun outfits! I feel you on the need for regular exercise. I have at least one good day a week, but way more is needed. You are totally making me crave a cowl Renfrew.

    I finally got my clovers (which I made LAST WINTER) to a place where I'm willing to wear them. I had to take in the thighs significantly. They were way too loose relative to the calves and it felt icky. I'm finally starting to love them---such a good feeling. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey, I remember those Clovers. I'm glad you've finally got them to fit. I usually prefer boot cut for the simple fact they fit over my calves. That's the problem with having muscular legs.

      Delete
  4. I really like the stripes! The colour is fantastic on you as well. :-) (Ignore that 'no horizontal stripes' rule - I reckon most of the time it's complete bollocks (except for wide stripes, then it seems to hold true. Especially wide black-and-white stripes over the butt, no matter what size you are. (I may have seen a few people wearing wide-black-and-white-striped skirts lately. Not a good look, sadly.)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is an orangey-red which I've always avoided. Now I'm thinking that was not necessary? And stretchy wide horizontal stripes just seems like a bad idea over the bum, unless you are a toddler and your parents think looking like a bumblebee is cute.

      Delete
  5. I love both looks!! I really like the Renfrews. I've been trying not to buy more patterns, but this one might make it through. I love how you styled the stripey renfrew. I would never have put it with olive colored pants, but it so totally works!

    Also, I love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love your renfrews! Horizontal stripe is straight-across amazing (see what I did there?). Didn't even think about *the rule* - do what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lurve the stripey renfrew on you. Clovers caused me a massive headache in fitting, and even though I do wear them I'm not 100% happy. Love the colour of yours though!

    ReplyDelete